|Go to: Main Menu||1987||1988||1989||1990||1991||1992|
87 Yellow Formula 350 Ad #1 (still seeking sample, has "*350 Limited production of 1500 units on the bottom")
87 Yellow Formula 350 Ad #2 (63K)
87 Formula Black & White postcard (38K)
87 GTA B&W postcard (30K)
ASC convertible literature cover (32K) & back side (41K)
87 GTA COLOR postcard (25K)
87 Formula Dealers Invoice sample (146K) (NORWOOD OH plant)
1987 was a big year for the Firebird, First, The S/E luxury coupe was dropped and the GTA was new and the Formula was re-introduced after being on haitus for 5 years.
For 1987 only, the Formula was an option for the Base Firebird. Cosmetically the Formula used most of the parts from a Base Firebird, except the Hood (from 82-84 Trans Am's), 16" N96 Wheels (one year only), with 235-50R16 Tires and the D81 Aero Spoiler which was shared with the Trans Am models. The Formula also received large "FORMULA" lettering on each of the doors and 5.0 Liter or 5.0 Liter F.I. hood decals. If purchased with the 350 (5.7) Engine, Formulas received FORMULA 350 on each door, and NO hood decal. This was consistent through 1990. Although in the pre-release literature the Formula appears to have a chrome "Firebird" emblem on the front fender between the wheel well and the door, there is no evidence of this being used on a regular production Formula.
Initially the Formula was intended to be "A Tactical fighter designed to go one-on-one with the "Mustang GT, Camaro LT, Dodge Daytona Turbo, and the Celica GT. Performance at an attractive Price is the greatest consideration." (From The 1987 Pontiac Dealers Album)
The Firebird Parts manual does NOT show any "5.7 Liter F.I." Hood decals for 87-90. Only 1991 & 1992 Formulas received only 5.7 Liter F.I. decal on the hood.
All Formulas came with a V-8, The 4BBL 5.0L Engine was standard for 1987, with an available 5.0 Liter and 5.7 Liter Fuel injected Tuned Port Engines. Only the Base Firebird came with either a V-6 2.8 liter engine or the LG4 4bbl V8. (This was also the Last Year for the (LG4) 4bbl V8, and the last year for a carbureted F-body).
In 1987 was the introduction of the center-bolt engine valve covers, the rear one piece main seal was introduced in 1986. The 700R4 Transmission was upgraded and made more reliable in late 1986. The engine kept the non-serpentine belts from the 86 V-8 Engines.
All Formulas came with the WS6 Performance Package and 245/50R16 Tires mounted on 16 inch Hi-Tech (convex) Turbo "Snowflake" style wheels from the 85 thru 87 WS6 Trans Am.
In 1987 T-tops were not available with the Formula 350, or the Formula LB9 (5.0 TPI) with the Automatic Transmission. If you wanted T-tops you had to order the LG4, OR the LB9 with the MM5 (Manual Trans). In short the only way to get T-tops and an Automatic Transmission was with the LG4 with the Formula (1987 only). However, for Canadian customers in 1987, an L98 engine could be had with CC1 T-tops with the GTA.
Because the Formula, Trans Am and GTA all shared the same 5.0L Tuned Port and 5.7 Tuned Port engines, the Formula is the lightest of the performance firebirds. The Formula did not have the added weight of the urethane ground effects of the Trans Am Packages.
1) July 7, 1986, ((Car Distribution Bulletin) CDB 87-F-1) - Power LH & RH Mirrors DG7 became an option on all Firebirds Except GTA
2) July 11, 1986 (CDB 87-F-2) - RPO L98 was changed to B2L
3) August 20, 1986 (CDB 87-F-3 - Color Keyed Items such as Wheels stripes, modling decals on all Firebird models are dicated by the exterior/Interior colors that are selected. Deviations will not be accepted
4) October 1, 1986 - (CDB 87-F-4) - Effective October 3, 1987 Exterior color code 84 will be changed to 87, This will affect both 84L & 84U codes. Color remains the same.
5) November 10, 1986 - (CDB 87-F-5) Manual 4 way adjster seat UPC AH3 has been temporarily placed on hold and dleted from some Firebird orders. An Ackowledgement is being generated for those orders affected. Orders that had this option delted will be built with the Manual 2-Way Adjustable Seat. A Credit amount of $35.00 MSRP will be issued on the Firebird Trans Am where the AH3 4 way adjustable seat is standard.
6) December 3, 1986 (CDB 87-F-6) Pontiace is making available three (3) solid colors for the 1987 Trans Am
7) January 14, 1987 (CDB 87-F-7) Effective with production of approximately January 26, 1987, LH & RH Power sport Mirrors, UPC DG7 will become the standard mirrors on the Firebird GTA in plade of the Power Padle type Mirrors No Price adjustment.
7-ALL) December 22, 1986,
(CDB 87-ALL-7) Effective immediately Power Door locks (AU3) and Power
windows (A31) will be available as free flow options.
The First Tier Formula (W61) had the following options: A/C, Tilt Steering, Body Side Moldings, AM/FM Radio.
* A/C could be deleted
The Second Tier Formula (W63) included all the previous but with the following: Delay Wipers, lamp group, Cruise, Deck Lid release, Power Windows & Locks.
*Power Windows & Locks could be deleted.
The following were the options: A/C, Limited Slip Axel, T-tops, Luxury Trim (Deluxe), A Variety of Radios, and Automatic Trans.
Colors available: (13) Silver Metallic, (23) Bright Blue Metallic, (28) Midnight Blue Metallic, (40) White, (41) Black, (51) Yellow, (60) Champagne Gold Metallic, (68) Dark Brown Metallic, (74 Flame Red, (81) Bright Red,
NOTE: (13) Silver Metallic, & (84) Medium Gray Metallic were the lower colors
The following were used with the (13) Silver metallic as lower:
(23) Bright Blue Metallic,
(41) Black &
(81) Bright Red
The Following were used with the (84) Medium Gray Metallic as lower:
(13) Silver Metallic,
< PREVIOUS | NEXT >